Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Zucchini Pasta




That's right I made pasta from Zucchini, you might think I'm mad but if you have ever tasted Spaghetti Squash you might understand why I was pining over it recently (its out of season here in Oz and I have to grow my own, very dedicated I know) And I thought normal zucchini is not all that different maybe there was some way of melding the two ideas, well it turns out I was not the first to think of this and after a little rummaging around on the net I found a few methods that hit my targets (Fast, Easy and Healthy)
Its very easy to do and takes literally 5 Min's to prepare (Real pasta is about 10?) So no talk of healthy food taking too long please.
Obviously this does not taste exactly the same as pasta but it gives you something substantial to serve your sauces with and not feel left out
Here's what you are going to need

Approx.. 1 Zucchini per person
a veggie peeler (or if you are all fancy and have a mandolin at the back of the drawer get that out)
a little salt and lemon juice (lemon is optional)

Method

Wash the Zucchini and use the veggie peeler to make long ribbons
Keep peeling until you get to the seeds and turn sides until you have done all four sides
Discard the seeds as they are too wet for this and will fall apart
pop the "pasta" in a bowl and sprinkle with a little salt and lemon juice to remove as much water from it
you can even pop it in a strainer and squeeze gently to remove more
Pop them in a fry pan with a little oil, stir fry for a minute or two
All you are doing really is warming them up a little before use


top with your sauce (I will have a nice Bolognese recipe for you soon)The sauce will be enough to re- heat the pasta for you
and Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment