Thursday, July 7, 2011

Chicken Okra with Cous Cous





I have a habit of buying foods I have no idea how to cook, if I can't pronounce it or I have never eaten it you can bet it ends up in my shopping trolley. This is how a bag of Okra found its way into my freezer, I had no idea how to cook it, what it tasted like but I thought I'd give it a try. So I set about looking online for a few recipes and information. there wasn't really a lot to be honest, but most of it was Cajun, African or Greek, so I knew I was going to like it.
Here's the recipe I found, I changed it around to suit what I had in the cupboard and fridge and I am sure you could do the same. Mum dropped by while I was cooking it so she got reined in on the duties too. I was quite happy with the result I hope you like it too, here's what you are going to need;

Ingredients
500g Chicken Breast Diced
1 Red Onion Diced
2 Tsp minced Garlic
1 Red Chilli Diced seeds removed
1 Bag of Tomatoes cut into wedges (or 400g Tin
250g Frozen Okra
Stock to preference

For the Cous Cous
1 Cup Dried Cous Cous
1 1/14 cup chicken Stock
1 Tsp Cajun Spices
a handful of fresh Parsley chopped
85g tin sweet corn
Salt & Pepper

Method
In a large fry pan heat some oil and brown the chicken, set this aside
add the onion, garlic and chilli fry until soft
Add the tomatoes, I don't bother peeling them its too fiddly as they are cooking squash them with a wooden spoon releasing all the juices and as they soften you will be able to pinch out the skins
After about 5-10 min they will be breaking down nicely, you can add a little stock to speed this up and get the sauce to the thickness you want
pop the okra on top, don't stir them in they should be sitting in but not be covered by the sauce (or they will go to mush) every now and then swish the pan around to make sure nothing sticks to the bottom.
To Make the Cous Cous, pop it in a heatproof bowl with the spices top with the hot stock and give it a stir
cover with a tea towel and leave for about 5 min
fluff up with a fork and stir thru the Parsley and Sweetcorn
Season to taste
Serve up and enjoy
This was so delicious and easy it will be back on the menu for sure at our place. You can omit the Chilli if you like and swap for Cayenne Pepper
leave the Chicken out and swap to veggie stock for a vegetarian meal

No comments:

Post a Comment